Saturday 13 October 2007

The Finnish paradise

I spent my summer in Helsinki. What a lovely city for summer vacations. Coming from Athens, I really enjoyed the cool breeze, and the clean atmosphere. The temperature in Athens was around 42 degrees, while in Helsinki, it never went higher than 28. All Greece was burnt down by arsonists, but I could walk next to the trees and lakes, and fill myself with positive energy; something I really needed. I attended some Finnish language courses, but let's face the truth... Who enjoys studying during the summer? I passed the exams, but one month later, I have forgotten most of the grammar I learnt.

Why did I go to Finland? Because I absolutely adore this country! Finns can enjoy so much without even realising it. It is a very safe country, there is a welfare state with buses and trams arriving on time (at least, usually), and you know that if you have a friend, they will always be friend of yours. Where I come from, people are double-faced, and they may pretend to be your best friend, and say the worst behind your back. Well, fortunately, not everyone is like that, and I am happy, because nowadays I have some good and real friends.

When I first visited Finland, I was there with a scholarship, Erasmus/Socrates. I stayed there for five moths, and I can say it was an unforgettable experience. I lived in Tampere and I had my first multicultural experience. I discovered a country where metal music, Santa Clause, and dreams were alive! I was excited. I discovered a new educational and managerial system which simply left me speechless. I then felt that if ancient Greeks had not existed, no one would be aware of Greece. How magic and sad at the same time.

No comments: