Monday 22 October 2007

Finnish VS British educational system

I can express an opinion about countries where I have lived, and I have lived in Greece, Finland, England, and Scotland by now.

I want to make a small analysis about the Finnish and the British educational systems regarding the postgraduate studies. Of course, this is my personal opinion following my personal experience, and I am not expecting from anyone to agree or disagree with me. I just want to inform about a couple subtle, but important differences.

In the UK, at least in the majority of the Institutions, they are not selective, ie if you can afford for your Master's degree (you have to pay for the Masters), you are welcome no matter what your background is. In the University where I went, they were supposed to have strict selective criteria. What I found out was that I was there with an excellent academic background, while another Greek had a very low GPA. There were people who had not even studied for a Bachelor degree, but they had some relevant working experience. Everyone who applies is accepted, and this is why in some classes there are more than 70 students attending a course.

In Finland, they are selective. You need to have a very relevant academic background, and the maximum number of students in a course is rather smaller. There is no tuition fee, and you have to deserve it in order to be accepted.

In the UK, you have to complete 180 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) in order to get your Master. These credits represent the hours you have to attend the courses along with the hours you need to study for them. In the UK, most of the postgraduate programmes last 1 year (full-time).

In Finland, you have to complete 120 ECTS in order to get your Master. In Finland, most of the postgraduate programmes last 2 years (full-time).

After this, where would you choose to study? Good luck!

No comments: